Pages

Tuesday 24 May 2022

Finding My Voice

Finding my Voice - May 2022

For the last six or seven weeks I've been doing a short online course at Cambridge University's Institute of Continuing Education (ICE) called Writing and Blogging for Online Audiences. And I'm absolutely delighted to say that I have successfully completed the course. And yes I know it was only a short, online course without entry requirements and no final exam, but even so, on one level just being enrolled at Cambridge University felt like an achievement. I'm extremely grateful to ICE for their award of a bursary and to David Henderson, my line manager at SECTT, for his support in obtaining it.

Writing and Blogging for Online Audiences isn't a course about writing blog posts, well, it is a bit, sort of, but it's really more about becoming a good writer of good blog posts. That's both a slightly different thing, and a fundamentally different thing. I worked bloody hard, and I'm not the writer that I was at the start of the course. That matters! 

So, even though it was "only" a seven-week, online course without entry requirements and no exams  I am more proud of this achievement than I am of many of the "higher" courses that I've completed. I've gained more than I imagined. I found a voice. My voice. Daisy May Johnson is a fantastic tutor. It's not just that the feedback is constructive and inspiring and encouraging; and her feedback is all that; but it's more than too. Daisy has an exceptional knack of signposting what matters, and I wouldn't have found what matters to me without her.

At the start of the course we had to post a link to a website that mattered to us. I chose Scrutopia; the home of all things to do with the English philosopher, Roger Scruton. So, at the end of this course I'm going to take Sir Roger's advice, and I'm going to 'think in draughts'!!!

Cheers!

cambridge university mug-nyetimber-scruton on wine
Hinc lucem et pocula sacra


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bye Bye Blogger

 After too many wrestling matches trying to get the words onto this page without it looking like an absolute mess I have moved to Wordpress .